Saturday, April 21, 2007

learning all about exposures!

After the suggestions I received in my previous entry "photographic issues" I decided to do a bit more research into exposure settings. I was at the library picking up the "premiere pro 2 bible" and looked around for some digital photography books. I found a great one about landscape photography, which is primarily what I do. The book is pretty basic and I knew a lot of what they were teaching but it is set up mostly as a tips and tricks book which was perfect for me. So yesterday I went out to the Mpls chain of lakes and took some pictures at lakes Calhoun and Harriet. I deliberately went during the high midday sun because I wanted to see if I could take the crappy lighting conditions of that time of day coupled with the water and all the glare issues with that time of day and see if I could take pictures that were perfectly balanced...at least ones that weren't overexposed or signigicantly underexposed. The overall result was stunning. Although I had a couple of areas of overexposure here and there, overall the pictures were well balanced and needed little Photoshopping. I don't think I will ever be able to survive without a histogram on my camera ever again. That was extremely useful to me yesterday. I think I may enter these two duck pictures in the National Camera Exchange spring photo contest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home