Saturday, April 14, 2007

photographic issues

I have been having some trouble with over exposure in many of my pictures. Where much of the picture is fine, there are usually a lot of hot spots within it, usually the sky or as seen in the b&w grave marker picture, the bunnies are over exposed. I really need to get a better handle on setting the aperture. Ugh. It's been a long time since I've taken a photography class. Perhaps I should take another one as a refresher course. Anyone have any suggestions or help?

2 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Blogger Stephan Ahonen said...

Setting your camera's auto exposure compensation to -2/3 stops will help bring out more highlight detail. You can boost the midtones and shadows in post to compensate for the darker exposure.

Another thing you can try is carry a grey card with your camera and auto expose on it before you take your shot. If you still get blown highlights, use a white piece of paper instead and experiment to determine what auto exposure compensation setting will render the paper as white, but not a completely blown out white. On my camera that's +2 stops, but your mileage may vary.

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Naamah said...

I'll try that, thanks. I've been leaving the aperture settings at auto which are supposed to be "smart" settings but I've not been happy with the settings. It's sometimes hard to tell in the view screen what the compensation looks like. How can you tell on your camera?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home